Position Title: Bookkeeper
Position Type: Term, Part-time contract for 6 months (until December 31st, 2022). This is a term replacement for a staff member on leave.
Hourly Wage: $22/hour
Number of Hours: 5 hours per week
Workplace Environment: Working with a unionized staff and volunteer board of directors. This is a unionized position with Local 2837 of the Workers United Canada Council.
Note: This position will begin remotely, and may transition to in-office, depending on Public
Health guidelines. While we are able to make accommodations, the Coordinator should have access to a computer or tablet, and have an internet connection.
Application Deadline: June 15, 2022
Interview Dates: June 20-23, 2022
Starting Date: July 1, 2022
About Students for Barrier-Free Access (SBA)
Students for Barrier-Free Access (SBA) at the University of Toronto is a student-led, volunteer-driven, non-profit which advocates for intersectional access, equity and inclusion. We advocate for disability justice and all of our programming and advocacy is shaped through this framework.
SBA holds free, skill-building workshops for members that build our community’s expertise, while also giving members the ability to learn skills transferable to many workplace settings. At this time, SBA is working to support members virtually, with movie nights, workshops, and a food-sharing program. On campus, we run a community drop-in center where memberscan enjoy a respectful, social, political and creative space.
At this time during the pandemic, SBA is working to create and maintain virtual programming that supports disabled students on campus, including but not limited to movie nights, workshops, and a food-sharing program.
About the Position
The Bookkeeper will be responsible for the day-to-day financial duties of the organization including bookkeeping (bill payments, reconciliations, accounts payable), payroll administration, and financial reporting. They will work with the Board of Directors to assist with financial reporting by providing bi-weekly finance updates to the Treasurer and Chair. This role is crucial to SBA’s operations and will ensure SBA is able to deliver services to our membership.
The successful candidate will be required to work 5 hours per week. This position is unionized with the Workers United Canada Council.
- Demonstrated expertise and commitment in working from a disability justice, trans-positive, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework
- Understanding, through either academic study or lived experience, of systemic, historical, and everyday barriers that operate within academia and society-at-large
- Passion for advocacy around issues that affect disabled students
- 1+ years of experience as a bookkeeper
- Experience in a non-profit setting is an asset
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific job tasks include:
- Carry out day-to-day bookkeeping, accounting, and banking for SBA
- Coordinate accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Ensure payment of bills, invoices, dues, and service contracts are done in a timely manner
- Coordinate payroll and related remittances including, WSIB, union dues, and CRA Payroll remittances
- Prepare and submit required tax, personnel, and financial reports and information to relevant government agencies
- Maintain accurate financial records
- Carry out bank reconciliations and prepares month-end package for Treasurer
How to Apply:
SBA prioritizes applications from people who identify as part of the disabled/mad community. We welcome and encourage applications from disabled/mad identified folks from marginalized communities and invite Indigenous people, Black people, people of colour, LGBTQ2SIA+ identified folks, working-class people, and single parents to apply for this position. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify in their cover letters, which will be kept confidential and shared among members of the hiring committee for hiring purposes only.
To apply, send the following information by June 15th, 2022.
1) A 1-page cover letter which answers the following question: Within a small non-profit that is primarily funded by student levies, describe how you would practice financial accountability to both the organization and to its members?
Please submit this information to email@example.com
Note: Interviews will be conducted June 20th – 23rd
SBA welcomes inquiries about the application process by email only, until June 15, 2022. Be sure to reference the position in the subject section of the email. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Only successful applicants will be contacted. For more information about SBA or our programs, please visit www.uoftsba.com.